Monday, November 15, 2010

Blog Buffalo Houses


When walking around the outside of south campus I saw various styles of architecture.  There were many houses that I thought looked very interesting and the more I looked into them I figured out the styles that they were.

I saw a few of these houses and what gives them away is the hexagon looking tower aspect.  It can be small and only on the top story or it could be a three story tower with a large roof.  The porch also defines the queen anne houses as well as the materials useds.

I thought this was the most comment type of house I saw outside south campus.  You can tell by the shape of the home (square) and also the window (or windows) on the slanted roof. 

There were one or two of these that I ran into.  What makes these type of houses stand out is the porch.  Many houses had porches but these bungalow homes were very unique looking.  It looks like an attachment to the house and has a roof over top.

I saw one of these and what made it stand out was the arch pillars and windows.  It was made of brick and looked as though 3 separate parts were built and then put together into one house.

I didn’t see any houses that were completely greek revival but there were many features of these on many houses.  There were pillars on various homes but the windows wouldn’t be greek revival .  There would be a house with very detailed inscriptions but there rest of the home would have no other aspects of greek revival.  A defining aspect of Greek Revival homes were enormous windows and doors, which many houses in buffalo have but no other aspects of this style.

No comments:

Post a Comment